HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neighbor's dog shot
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM
sngehl01

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

As a guy who breeds, raises, and trains and field trials pointers I have no sympathy for your buddy or his dog. My dogs are very valuable. Having said that, I go to great lengths to make sure my dogs stay in their kennels. They are on a raised deck platform so they can't dig out and my kennels are charged with a fence charger so they can't climb out. If my dogs get out and get killed then thats a ME problem. I'm so tired of dog owners not taking ownership for their animals who are out wondering around. Bad deal for your neighbor but maybe he'll work harder to keep his new dog in the yard where it belongs.
I agree. If you care enough about your dog, you'll care enough to make sure it doesn't run off. Especially during deer season.

I have shot dogs around home before. It wasn't simply just seeing one and deciding to shoot it. We have dogs get into the trash, and they came up on me while I was deer hunting, on my land. I shot one, and would have shot the rest if they wouldn't have run off. They are just a plain nuisance. Always running around and getting into our trash and etc. Yes, it's my fault the trash was accessible, but it's my neighbors fault it was his dogs getting into them.

On the flipside, dogs have walked past my stand unharmed. There is no sense in shooting every dog, because accidents do happen and dogs do get out, it is part of their nature.

But, usually, a dog running loose isn't because of a dog breaking barriers and escaping, it's because of a negligent owner who thinks his only responsibilities as a dog owner are to feed and water it regularly, and whatever it does otherwise it's just doing it because "it's what dogs do."

It shows a real lack of respect for people living around you to just leave your dog(s) running around, depending on the circumstances.

People should be more responsible for their animals. People also shouldn't shoot dogs on sight "just because," but some people do, and dog owners need to be aware of that and be aware that if you let your dog run loose, it might not come back home. It's a risk you take.

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
x2