HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antelope Bullet for .243?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antelope Bullet for .243?

I have heard good things about the Sierra Gameking 85 grain boat tail hollow point. As has been pointed out, pronghorn are small animals and don't require a super tough bullet to kill.

One point I would mention, from my experience the behavior of mortally wounded pronghorn is a little surprising. My son hit a buck at about 150 yards with a .25-06 117 grain Hornady. The buck just stood there -- seemingly totally unphased and undisturbed. I was watching from behind a bump of ground and assumed my son had missed on his first shot. About 10 seconds later the buck took a few steps forwards, seemed to tremble, fell down butt first and rolled over dead. The shot was well placed right behind the elbow of the front leg -- where the shoulder blade meets the lower leg. When I shot may doe pronghorn at 240 yards with a .243 100 grain Winchester Super-X bullet, again the pronghorn gave no indication of being hit. I shot quickly again. And then again. The doe dropped dead. I would guess my first shot hit home but I was too impatient/lacking confidence to wait. They don't always drop dead on the spot when hit well. Give them a few seconds if they aren't threatening to walk quickly out of range. If they are standing still you aren't taking any risks waiting a few seconds to see what happens.