HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much of an investment to start reloading??
Old 07-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much of an investment to start reloading??

30-06 is fairly cheap, but you can reload it for much cheaper than you can buy it if you are going to shoot alot. Reloading=cheap ammo=more shooting. I load only match ammo for my 30-06 right now but at considerable savings.

100 168gr Sierra Match kings =$20
100 Federal large rifle primers=$2
4750 gr or IMR 4064 =$11
total =$33

Federal 30-06 match loads =$20 per box of 20
100 rds of Federal match loads=$100

savings =$67

if you want to reload fro hunting loads, the figures will be fairly similar, except that you will use a few bucks more worth of powder and up to twice as much for the bullets, in any event, you will save a large amount of money IF you plan to shoot alot.

If you were going to put together a kitfor reloading here' s what I would suggestmost of these items can probably be found cheaper on Ebay)

-RCBS rockchucker press- around $100
-RCBS or Lyman powder scale: about $50
-RCBS deburring tool: $15
-If bolt action: Lee collet die set :$28 (has seating, neck, and Full length dies) or RCBS FL die set:$24
-If any other action type: RCBS SB die set :$24
-Lee case trimmer set (lockstud, cutter, and depth guage):$10
-reloading block:$5
-reloading manual $5-$60
-powder funnel:$5
You can probably go cheaper on the press, you can even get a Lee hand press set for 30-06 for under $20 that includes the dies and press, but you would only want to go this route if you are going to reload in low volumes.

I would like to say that the equipment will pay for itself, but it won' t. IF you get into the habit of shooting and reloading alot, you' ll end spending your so-called savings on more equipment, brass,and books. Other things you will eventually ' need' to pick up include: a quality dial caliper-$50, case tumbler-$50, OAL guage set=$60, 2 or 3 more reloading books sets $100+, powder thrower $50, bullet puller $20, extra dies sets for neck sizing $25, chronograph $150+, and there are ALOT of other neat gadgets out there that I haven' t listed.