HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hoyt pulls Dealership without warning! (long)
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt pulls Dealership without warning! (long)

Rough go of things I'd say. But I've got a few questions of my own... and then I'll answer some of yours with my own experience with Hoyt in our shop in mind.... but keep in mind that its just my third party opinion.

Also, I'd like to know exactly who your Hoyt rep is... feel free to PM me if you want to keep it private. Lets leave it to say that I found out about the 2009's via the internet as well... and I'm not the shop owner... I had to get the owner to track down our Hoyt rep... and it took about 5 phone calls and 6 weeks to get us the alphamax's.

ORIGINAL: cgc3dshoots

This brings up a few more questions…
We sold the minimum required to have a dealership, so why pull it?
I don't know why you gave Hoyt your total bow sales numbers anyway. Its none of their damn business if you sell more bowtechs than hoyts. The only number they need to know is how many you BOUGHT..... not sold. I know they have changed a few things this year, but the minimum is NOT the number of bows sold... its the number of bows purchased. If I want to buy 50 Hoyts and sit on them until they discontinue them and sell them at a loss... isn't that my business (granted I won't be in buisness very long if I do that).

Why would Hoyt not want us to sell their bows?
Isn’t Hoyt in the business to sell bows?
How does pulling our dealership after four years benefit Hoyt?
Kinda a bunch of rhetorical questions...

Doesn’t having more dealers that buy bows every year help them sell more bows?
It doesn’t cost Hoyt anything for us to be a dealer, so again, why pull it?
Maybe if Hoyt worked with their dealers, they would sell more bows?
Not necessarily. If the other shop is pushing and advertising Hoyt bows.... then there is a very good chance that having two dealers may well not be a good thing for Hoyt. Having too many dealers in an area cheapens a product..... supply starts to exceed demand. While the MAP keeps the price the same... the actual value of the product (according to economics) declines. I don't know exactly what Hoyt's dealer covenants are now.... but usually 14 miles is too close. And I've frankly never heard of it being up to a third party sales rep who deals what bows. It sounds like to me you should review your dealer covenants, and if applicable file a lawsuit. Just depends on how bad you even want to deal with Hoyt after all this has happened. It sounds to me like your former staff shooter leaked a bunch of private sales information... in a professional sense, you may have a right of redress againest him (I'd definately address that)... in laymen's terms... he screwed you and I'd kick his ass. Seriously.

Even if they complained that we didn’t sell enough Hoyt bows, we were still buying Hoyt bows from them and we sold the minimum required to be a dealer. Does anyone else find something seriously wrong with the logic here?
The logic is Hoyt looks at it as opportunity cost. Again, you'll have to check the covenants... I think you might find that there is only supposed to be one dealer in a 20-25 mile radius... thats how a lot of dealers work. If you can only have one in a certain radius, then having you only buy the minimum amount of bows when another dealer wants to buy X amount MORE than you... Hoyt is realizing an opportunity loss. The Mathews dealer near where my parents live used to be a guy who sold a few bows a year out of the back of his garage... he made just the minimum purchases each year and lost his ass doing it. The big local shop wanted Mathews, and Mathews wanted the local shop. They ordered 10 times the amount of bows the old dealer was buying UP FRONT... it was a no brainer. Heck.. I didn't even realize that area HAD a Mathews dealer until the big shop got them.