HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - overlook the fact of killing deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
magicman54494
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: overlook the fact of killing deer?

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area.
I am not sure I understand how you chances of shooting a bigger one are better when you don't see any deer. I would think if you had a larger doe population in your area, the chances of a buck cruising for a doe is a lot better.

As for me...well I have had a dry few years...when it comes to actually putting meat in the freezer. But during the last few years I changed my style from meat in the freezer to quality deer. I don't want to say trophy hunter, because I believe I am far from that. In my dry years I passed on numerous mature does to see what was (or wasn't) tailing them. I would consider my season of 07 to almost as successful as this year. The odd part is that I killed a nice buck this year and a doe. Last year all I had was a few close encounters with monsters and a few near misses on does.

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder!!
Where I used to hunt was a brown it's down area. Maybe 1 buck in a thousand got to 3 1/2. The age structure where I now hunt is much better so when (if) I do see one the chances of him being a big one are better.