HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - overlook the fact of killing deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
magicman54494
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: overlook the fact of killing deer?

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

The spiker thread got me thinking. Do you evertake for grantedthe fact that you kill deer? Or you had the ability to kill deer if you chose and passed? I didn't realize the number of people that go a season (or seasons) without killing anything. I guess I just go into a season knowing I'll kill the number of deer I want for meat in the freezer. Hell there are stretches in my season where I could kill A DEER of some kind 90% of the time I go out. Maybe I've taken that fact for granted. I get so wrapped up on particular bucks or filling that buck tag. I get so overwhelmed with the strategy, details and the mental side of hunting that to be honest the thought of just being able to kill a deer doesn't even enter my brain. It's a non issue for me. Interesting.

I'm not sure how this is coming across. Let me just say that in no way shape or form am I proclaiming to be the greatest hunter (or even top 10 [8D]) on the face of the Earth. In fact I think I really suck lol. It just dawned on me that there are a lot of people that don't get the opportunity to take a deer. I know I'm getting my 3 deer (or more if I chose) a season. There really isn't a question about that .... ever.
I'm not sure what your trying to say?
Do I take for granted that I'm actually killing an animal?
Or that I good enough to do it?
I'll try to answer. If this is a respect deer question, It's a deer. I kill it and eat it. I try to make a clean kill and won't torture it. Funerals are pretty expensive so I just toss the carcass on my bone pile out back.
If the question is about my ability to kill one:
I used to hunt an area that offered a lot of shots. I never had a chance to shoot a big buck. I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area. I hunt Minn. with rifle. Wis with rifle and bow so somewhere along the way I always seem to get some deer meat. Wis bow kill success is about 15-18%. So if I get one that puts me in the top 15-18%