HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late season hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Schultzy
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late season hunting

We don't have the winters you have there.....here....but you DO have yarding, yes/no? Is it too early for that?
They yard up here (not In my woods but across the road). I expect It to happen anytime now being we've got a few Inches of snow on the ground. It's actually happening already I believe (yarding up).

I'd just ask if you know what they're eating right now.....and do you even have access to them "there"?
Our corn and bean fields that were here are now plowed under and spread with liquid manure. The deer haven't hardly touched the fields since the manure went on. When they tried knifing the manure in the ground the ground was already pretty froze so not much went Into the ground, most of it stayed on top and froze. We've got oaks around but there not doing much feeding there, I would see pawing In the ground If they were. I think most of the deer that are still In my woods are just browsing on whatever Is around and venturing on to the neighbors land and doing the same.

If you don't have access to where they're feeding.....do you have access to where they're bedding (now)? That's another option.....if you know where that is.
There bedding Is pretty much the same spot as It always Is. Like I said I've got doe's and fawns around but the bigger tracks that one should be seeing usually disappear come December and head out. The mature bucks that were doing some chasing are going to be much more run down then the doe's and fawns and they know It so there going to go where the better food sources are better and It's no where close to my woods.