HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late season hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 AM
crenshaw
Typical Buck

Default RE: Late season hunting

The thing i like to do is something out of the blue. I like to sometimes to go to an area i havent been in all year. Like a really thick creek bottom i avoided during the early season, cause it was way to thick to shoot. Now its open. I also like to hunt edges where i havent sat all year. I find a lot of the deer are nocturnal by now in areas with any kind of pressure. I like to hunt new growth or creeks or edges where food might be near by. I use a climber a lot and move around, the deer seem to get confused in my area by this. I also, have found on cold nights it better to wait till mid day to go in. One place i have hunted for years, when it gets cold i watch deer going to bed right at light, then its over, they dont move. But if i am on stand at noon, i catch the deer going from one bedding area to another mid day eating browe on there way there. The best thing i do in the late season is mix it up, I change stand sites all the time. I have seen and shot some of my best bucks in last weeks of December doing this.