HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ladder and permanent stands
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 AM
TreednNC
Typical Buck

Default RE: ladder and permanent stands

I use and have used climbers, lock ons, ladders, and permanent stands.

I like my climber for comfort, awesome gun stand, to hunt where I feel I need to be 20'+ (usually 30-40 when gun hunting), and mobility obviously.

I like my lock ons for putting in nasty trees that nothing else would work in, and can get high, did I mention the ability to hide and tuck into a place no readily seen, theyre just so versitile in methods you use to get into them, whether it strap on, seperate ladders like the LW, or one piece economical strong built ladders, or using screw in steps.

I like my ladder stands for ease of putting up. To me it's by far the easiest stands to put up. Maybe not to carry in, but fairly easy. I rarely use them in bow season, because I like to be higher than 15'. I camoflauge mine with cedar. Not very comfortable, but versatile. I generally use them for gun season, although I bow hunt out of them a couple times a year.

I havent used a permanent stand in a while. Ive only had two in my short 8yrs of hunting. One was built in the fork of a chestnut oak, on a ridge, over looking a draw. Greatplace to hunt, as the draw went straight into a bedding area. Never was picked off while hunting in it. Comfortable, but a bear to climb into (made it user UNfriendly to curb other hunters from using it, was in a club with some disrespectful members). Also had a 6x4 condo with a roof and shelves and enclosed with windows. Was a nice stand located in some pines at an intersection of 2 skidder trails.