HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late season hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Late season hunting

I know what your saying Steve. I think you are spot on. Those bucks are in their winter pattern now. Eithor you are where they are or your sol. I think rifle season kind of pushes them to these areas and they tend to stay there. Feed is the key this time of year. I would ask your farmer if there is a way to leave some standing corn.
We don't have the winters you have there.....here....but you DO have yarding, yes/no? Is it too early for that?

Ask the farmer/lease holder how much he'd charge you to leave (_____) acres standing....and don't be shocked when you get that number. Corn is expensive to grow.

This brings to mind another question.....RE: "size of the pile", also (and I'm not passing judgement ONE BIT!). If it's legal....you'll hear nothing derogatory from me.

Hunt the food..cold will make them eat.
Deer burn a LOT of energy just staying warm. They have to feed....and feed more often to keep their body temps up.

Smart(above quote).....and I'd just ask if you know what they're eating right now.....and do you even have access to them "there"? I've been saing for years now....that even the deer I hunt don't "winter" where they "summer". They bed nearer their food source no matter what time of year it is. For me....this doesn't (hasn't in the past) bode well for me in the early season. Late season.....I'm golden.

If you don't have access to where they're feeding.....do you have access to where they're bedding (now)? That's another option.....if you know where that is.