HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats stopping you?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
dukemichaels
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats stopping you?

I used to beleive many years ago that the "grass was always greener on the other side as well".

Used to blame luck.. and think of hunting whitetails as a game.. like chess.

One day I woke up. Like someone just through the switch on or slapped me across the face with a wooden spoon.

What I've learned was.. it's not where you hunt.. but how you hunt the land you are given that seperates those who do and those who don't.

There will always be great land out there. But it makes no difference if you are not on it. So get over it.. move on.. and get it done on what you got. And what you will get if you work for it.

The old cliche reads that "timing is everything". It holds especially true for us whitetail hunters. Learn what timing is on each piece of land you hunt through knowledge of the animal.

And don't look at it like a deer is playing against you. Like he is your equal. He is not. You have every advantage over him. You are earth's ultimate predator. Stop putting him on the same level.. and start making your own decisions through knowledge and observation. You are above him.. and it's no game to him. It's not like chess.

There's a WORLD of knowledge out there. Don't be so cynical towards those who have hunted and written about whitetail hunting for many years through our books and magazines. The written word holds powerful truth.. yet so many dismiss it simply cause they don't understand it. Words and ideas are too often lost in translation. Embrace what was written before you.. and you will open your mind to any entirely new way of thinking. And then you can seperate whats real and what is not.

As far as luck. Don't count on it. Prepare to make your own. Work for luck.. stop waiting for luck to work for you.

That is all I got.