HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about getting into trapping
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about getting into trapping

Good to see you hereGreg! Trapping is a great thing to teach your son! I think you will end up as excited and learning as much as he. Well written books are a great resource to get you started. There are many videos availble as well if you think they would be more helpful. A good portion of your learning is going to be through trial and error once you get started.

Any idea of what you want to start with?Coon, and musktat are fairly easy to catch and the equipment is not real expensive. When you start getting into beaver and coyote the traps are quite a bit more expensive. I wouldn't try to cut your teeth on fox and coyote. They are smart and hard to catch, IMO best to get some experience before educating them.

I use Minnesota Trap Products for all my gear. The owners are great people and very helpful. If you call them one of the owners answers the phone. The will give all kinds of recommendations and advice, they also write a personal note on every invoice they send. I've included a couple links at the end fora couple booksand it is their web site. I would recommend using them as an information source, call and tell them what you are doing and they will take you through, traps, lures, and everything you need.

A couple of books you should get are Farmland Fur Trapping and Adjusment of Leg Hold Traps. Both great resources for a beginner. The Farmland book gives the basics for about anything you would want to catch. The Trap book will explain how to adjust your traps for optimal performance and gives a great overview of equipmnet needed.

Feel free to PM me if you wish. My brother and I do a lot of trapping and I'll help you any way I can.

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=508_205_327&products_id =1267

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=508_205_337&products_id =1292