HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun Fell In, NEED HELP
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
dkhunter8383
Fork Horn

Default Gun Fell In, NEED HELP

I decided to go out duck hunting a couple weeks back by myself in a canoe. Had to break ice with the canoe and paddled to my spot about 75 yards from shore. I uncased my gun (browning gold) because there was hole in front of the island mallards were pouring into. Well all the mallards flew before I got close enough so I was paddling into the island, stuck the paddle in to test the depth and what i thought was bottom ended up being a branch and I was flipped into the water. I tried to get back into the canoe, but more water just poured in so i had to swim and pull the canoe while breaking ice about 15 feet to the island. It was at this time I realized my gun is sitting on the bottom of the wisconsin river in about 10 feet of water. It was about 15 degrees, my waders are filled with icy water, and I am soaked from head to toe, so there was nothing I could do but get back to shore as fast as possible. I have gone out 2 times with magnets trying to get my gun, but the the only thing the magnets will stick to is the barrel, everything else is aluminum or wood, so the magnets (2-one hundred fifty pound magnets) just keep slipping off the barrel and will only left it about 1 foot off the bottom. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO LIFT THIS SUCKER OFF THE BOTTOM, I AM A POOR COLLEGE STUDENT WITH $550 SITTING ON THE BOTTOM OF A RIVER. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!