HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

well, mauser is done.....atleast till late flintlock i'll take the flintlock doe hunting...

saturday i decided to ride upto my buddies camp again...not really much going on here at home...and saturdays we dont push our good woods because they get crowded...sitting in a ravine watching the other side and spotted a bunch of deer coming...atleast 5-8 deer...all slickheads except 1....i seen it was wide...put legal points on him (3 to a side up there) and put a bullet through his heart...he made it 15yds and piled up...i knew right away he looked like an older deer...got upto him and he had a horse of a body...

would been a nice 6...but he was busted up bad...15 1/4 wide...beams are both roughly 15"...g2 is about 6" other side brow is about 2" the other brow is snapped about smooth and the other g2 is about an inch and a half...(he had the good brow on the busted g2 side) i dont know how old he is, but everyone that seen him thinks he is an old deer on the decline...doesnt look like a 2.5yo buck...

no pics of me with the deer just some hanging before i skinned and quartered him...decided to come right home from camp due to winter weather moving in...made the right choice because i would been snowed in without 4wd...but on a saturday night, noone was around to take pics...battery in the camera was dead in the woods...likely from being in the cold so much and not being checked [:'(]

so mauser is outta the contest...sorry guys....when i seen him, i couldnt pass him...hes my "biggest" and definently oldest buck...i got finals this week and our late season usually doesnt produce much in terms of antlers...exspecially this year we wont have 2 from our already small late season crew...

skull is being boiled as i type...hopefully the teeth stay intact...id like to look at them good...from what i could see when i skinned the skull out, i think he was and old deer...would been a nice 6 if he werent busted up so bad....hide is huge...i think i'll send it to be tanned...any other hide i get that big will likely be one for the wall so i wont get the hide...