HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Headin' for the big woods
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Headin' for the big woods

The outing turned out to be a HOOT! The first morning was awe inspiring as the sun cleared the spruces and tamaracks swamp filtering through the gently falling snow. Fresh wolf tracks in the snow right under the stand. It was well below zero but I was properly clothed and stayed put stand for 4 hrs. Nothing moved. Not a sound broke the blessed stillness but the jays and ravels.Still hunted back to camp but the snow was too loud at that temp. After breakfast we organized a push. I was to stay on one spot until the pusher went through then circle around as blocker to get in front of him again. A friend was in the stand overlooking another swamp. My wait proved fruitless but I pushed three deer to the others when I circled. They came through the swamp at warp speed but the poster had the wrong "gun" in his hands at that very moment. They ran onto the pusher and stood 30 yards away. That's when he learned that three 30 grn of T7 pellets don't ignite well when it's that cold. In stead of a bang he got more like a puff. The deer loped up the hill and looked at him from even closer. All he could do was look. Venison steak (bow kill) never tasted better than that night.