HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - practise at what ranges
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 11:23 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: practise at what ranges

My range is only good to 200 yards, so I practice faithfully 100 and 200 yards groups with my hunting rifles. I do however have a buddy who has a range on his farm that allows us 500yards. Although I do shoot at the max range, I spend most my time when at his place between 225-350...as that is about far as a shot I would take on game in my parts. I have found shooting longer distance (albeit not super long) it makes me a better shot in my norm hunting situation which is 100-200 yards.

I agree whole hearted if your going to attempt a 200, 300 yarder or what have shot than you better practice it so you know what to expect!!!!! Range finders are great tools, but they don' t tell you how high to hold or how that bullet will perform in your gun at that distance. It makes my bottom lip quiver, when I hear guys who haven' t shot since last year and it is opening morning[:' (]. I guess I have seen to many wounded or dead game from botched shots, that I figure some of this could have been prevented with a little of range time. Not only does it tell you bullet/equipment info, it will more than likely give you a realistic limit to exactly how far you can perform accurately. In all the preperation a person goes through to not even hit the range for a few session, doesn' t make sense. Your leaving a very impotant part to chance and since I live to hunt, that is something I am not prepared to do or advocate!