View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you OLD TIMERS think?

15-20 years ago, that was yesterday...

In the late 60s and early 70s, we had less deer, but I could ride down the road and watch bucks feeding in soybeans during the summer...I wouldask my dad who owned the land and easily get permission to bowhunt that area...I could walk out my back door (or front door) and hunt for 6-8 miles in either direction, never see another hunter and not get run off someone's land...If I did see a farmer, we'd stop and chat and he'd ask about what I had seen and actually tell me of deer he had seen...

We all know it's not that way anymore...Heck, my brother had a poacher try to run him off one of our farms last year...

But...No, the bucks weren't bigger back then, I've got several on the wall from then and frankly, we are killing bigger bucks now...Because I'm now an old fart andactually talk myself out of killing bucks...I'll kill one everyonce in a while, but I'd rather let them breed or let one of the younger hunters kill them...I kill the does...That's what helps you have bigger bucks, passing on them and frankly, back in the 70s and 80s...I don't recall any deer hunters in NC passing on any size bucks...