HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Decided on a .270...now what make?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
CarpetBagger
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decided on a .270...now what make?

270 Eh....Thats onegreat deer killing round right there....

I shoot a Remington SPS Stainless in 270 and love it. Stock on the gun isnt the greatest, but it shoots pretty darngood. Factory 130gr hornady SP bullets are pretty much automatic out of this gun and hitting at about 1" or just over....I put a Leupold VX-III on this year and it is aFANTASTIC gun for whitetails.

I have had it now for 2 years and I am6 for6 on whitetail so far. I shot the biggest buck of my life 2 weeks ago in WV at 150 yrds. 150lb 8pt. I took out the lungs and you could tell all the energy from that bullet was transfered into the animal. He didnt run 1 step, just staggered away and crumbled.

WhenI bought the gun it was a toss up between the 700 and the Ruger All Weather. For some reason the Ruger stock didnt feel right in my hand so i opted for the 700 and have been pretty happy with it....I wish i could have afforded the Sako or a high end Weatherby, but the model 700 has suited my purposes as a hunter and has been very good to me so far...Good thing about a Rem 700 is that every gunsmith you meet can work on one if needed. Lots of aftermarket stuff available for them...