HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Handles
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Jessie it's hard to tell what you meant to say vs. what you really wrote " (and I'm not one of them but the past two years have been eab so have to shoot one)".
I would say any reader on this forum would conclude that 1. you are possibly illiterate and 2. you shot at least 1 deer in the pasttwo yearsbased on what you wrote. Wouldn't you deduct the same if I had written those words?
Yes, I work for the DNR. I spendmany of hours afield, away from my family as a volunteer for them. I help conduct herd counts throughout the winter months at major feeding areas as well as pheasant and grouse counts in the spring. When I lived in MN I helped capture and band ducks and geese(when is the last time you volunteered for anything?).
It isn't exact work but if we count 50 deer in a 5 square mile radius, we can deduct that there are about 10 deer per square mile depending on available food and cover(proven to be almost optimum for the health of the deer, limiting crop damage, and limiting damage to browse plants). Since there are 640 acres per square mile, if you hunt on 100 acres and you see one or two deer, that should be about right.
When there were hunters choise permits (70's-80's) very few hunters chose to shoot doe, only wanting bucks.This caused an explosion in the herd and a complete imbalance of the buck to doe ratio. We tried offering over the counter doe tags, and free doe tags, but again the hunters only wanted to shoot bucks. EAB was our last option, other than going to a completely doe only season in some areas. That would never fly. So EAB has been effective because it forces hunters who would only shoot a buck, to shoot a doe too. In reality, many people shoot their doe, but don't have a chance at the buck, or quit hunting after shooting a doeso it is slowly getting the ratio back in check.
However in some areas people have taken this to an extreme and have completely over-harvested.
Back to our 5 mile radius: If there are 50 hunters in that 5 mile radius, and they each shoot a deer, how many deer are left? The answer; some deer will be left. Because deer travel, and because hunters travel, and because Wisconsin allows hunters to shoot deer in multiple zones, with multiple weapons the DNR absolutely can not determine exactly how many deer there are, and how many each hunter should take. We must estimate, and because of all of the variables it is a rough estimate at best. After our winter counts are in, and we estimate how many new fawns are born we estimate a harvest rate in a given area. However, once hunting season starts, there could be50 new gun hunters, and 50 more muzzleloader hunters, and 50 new youth huntersin that area that we could not possibly foresee. If each takes a doe, and 1/4 take a buck, that is a reduction in the herd. Fewer hunters or bad hunting conditions (weather) in other areas could cause a rise in the herd in that part of the state. Some places that were EAB will not be next year, but some new areas might be.And so it goes... However, since you seem to have all the answers, lets hear exactly how it should be done. If you don't have an answer, I suggest you do some research,do some volunteer work,get off your soapbox and start helping find the solution rather than being a know-nothing-smart-azz.