HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cougar or yote
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
jeepdude1987
Spike

Default RE: Cougar or yote

My uncle called a cougar in with a rodent distress call, but he has seen only one like that. And, he has been hunting yotes for years. I don't think that the cougar is too big a problem unless you really want a cougar skin why bother with it. The best way would be dogs, but if there is only one in the area you have to locate it to some extent before you can set the dogs lose. If you have only found 1 kill in at least 6 years of the cougars presence then I would live and let die. Nature selects for the strongest and healthiest so if there is a cougar cutting down the weaker deer then you will have a healthier population. Look at the Kaibab deer disaster. After all the predators were killed of in there area the population thrived andthere were many deer cause the habitat supported could support a large number of deer, but then the pop. got so large the deer started to over eat the plants they needed to survive. Then the population dropped hard and almost all of the deer were thin and unhealthy for many years and a whole lot of them died. If there are too few predators it is just as bad or worse than too many. Now if you had multiple carcasses every year that you came across and the game numbers were bad then I would say call in the hounds and set up over the kills and drop the predator numbers so the deer can come back some, but 1 kill in half a decade and I would say you could do better things with you time for the deer than hunting down a critter that removes the weak and infirmed from their population.