HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference!!??
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
kickin_buck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

Jeff, I just have to ask the question. Why do equal bowhunting (or being just a bowhunter) and the term purist? Now before you go off on me, let me just explain the question. I have been bowhunting for over 25 years and I can promise you there is little that is that same today as it was 25 years ago. Our bows today are more than capable of killing deer at distances that shotguns were 25 years ago. When I was young and shotgun hunting, anything over 40 yards was a hope and prayer, while bows today are very capable of 40+ yard shots.

I would totally understand your "purist" stance if you were hunting with trad equipment, on the ground, and doing spot and stalk type hunts. However, sitting in a stand 20+ feet off the ground, hunting an area that was scouted with tools such as trail cameras, and shooting 300+ fps is not anything close to what we had even 25 years ago.

I guess when I think of a "purist" or a pure hunter, I think back to the time when hunting was not a sport or a hobby, but a means of survival and those guys were carrying rifles. Or when I think of "purist"in the archery world, I think of the guy carring a stick and string and getting it done on the ground. I have a buddy that really wanted to challenge himself. He made his own self bow, arrows and BH and killed deer with it. That is what I would consider a "purist" to be.

I really am not trying to bust your chops or give you a hard time. I really am just trying to understand what you are calling "purist".