HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flintlock fun
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flintlock fun

ORIGINAL: danny426

Talk about a blast! I shot my Lyman Deerstaler flintlock for the first time yesterday what fun. For you guys who shoot flintlocks how do you get used to shooting. the lock times seemed good but I went from shooting my 06 & Traditions Pursuit, & it seemed like it took forever to go off. also after about 15 shots the flint was looking pretty rough even though the gun kept firing. can the flint be re shaped and re used, if so how? thanks! to all and good luck in the woods.
If you are shooting the original touch vent liner, I might suggest getting an allen head RMC touch hole liner. They tend to speed things up. Also make sure you're not making a fuse with the powder. If you pile it up against the vent hole liner, it can sit and slow burn. I keep the powder to the outside edge of the pan. It seems to speed things up. As for knapping the flint, while you can knapp a flint, the agates that come with the rifle are harder to do. Just keep shooting it until it no longer sparks. Also turn it over in the jaws and it will sometimes semi sharpen itself.