HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference!!??
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 AM
BobCo19-65
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Trevor.....if you're "that good", nothing (talking about accuracy from 20'+ v. what I would imagine to be more typical traditional stand heights).

I don't know (OK....I know 1) too many that good with traditional gear.

No debate, at all. When we're 20+' and a deer's at 5 yds....we'd better be sure of our shot placement. It's a delicate (understatement) margin for error. I can't imagine taking that shot with trad gear. I hunt at lower heights to compensate for this (shortcoming?.....or reality check?).

I think it would be interesting to hear the heights the guys who get it done with trad gear every year (burnie?; BobCo?: Schultzy?;Others?) are hunting from. I'm interested.
My normal stands are not higher then 15 feet platform height. We bought a few 15ft ladders (to the seat) this year that are pretty much a perfect height. I also use heavy cover, you really can't see more then about 30 yards out inmost of the stands. None ofmy stands are really in any type of open hardwoods. We also use natural ground blinds (again in heavy cover).There is something special shooting a deer at ground level from a natural blind.