HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference!!??
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

John....I don't hunt any other way (anymore). Thats why I'm OK with it.
So......you're still a "hunter" to me.

Jeff, some labels are good but some aren't so good and all they tend to do is cause a divide. It's that whole "bow hunter" mentality that irks me.... You see it everywhere, stickers on the back window of pickups that say "bow hunter" along with a little picture of a dude at full draw......When's the last time you saw a window sticker that read "gun hunter" with a guy standing there aiming a rifle??

Why do you think that is??? It's because bow hunters want the world to know they bow hunt...and why do they want the world to know it?? Because they feel it will somehow elevate themselves above the fray of "normal" hunters into an elite group of hunter.

Now I know there are exceptions and not everyone thinks that way, but you can take it to the bank that many,feel that because they bow hunt, they deserve recognition or want to be looked uponas an elite hunter.It's why they point out the differences between gun and bow hunting by only citing the obvious advantages the gun has over the bow, it's to give the appearance of this vast step up in skill that is needed to hunt with a bow. Thissame "tug of war" happens between the trad shooters and the compound shooters albeit at a lesser extent than bow/gunbut make no mistake about it.....it's there.

As long as we continue to label ourselves and show the stars on our bellies, this will never end.........