HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking for a new turkey gun
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Bobgobble2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for a new turkey gun

Woods,first welcome to the forum here!Lot of opinions here as to which which firearm to choose!Always is on this particular subject!Instead of a debate heres a few other things to look at on choosing a firearm your confident in.Quite frankly all gauges kill turkeys if a particular guns pattern is correct and the shooter shoots at the proper distances!I watched a 7 year old kill 2 toms in 1 shot this year with a 4/10!!Everyone has there own quirks as to what there looking for in a turkey gun,pump,auto,single shot,sights,scopes,chokes,camo,and we could go on and on!So much is made today of a desire to have a scatter gun be able to kill turkeys at further downrange yardages and much of the add ons to todays turkey guns are made to that end!It all depends on what your looking for and your own particular quirks that you individually have!There are many fine companys making guns nowadays that kill turkeys just as dead as the next!Choosing a gun that fits your own style of hunting I believe is more important than any aspect we can look at here!I' m a pretty aggressive hunter and am pretty hard on my equipment,inotherwords my own gun is probably going to get wet,get scratched,get muddy,and so on!I hate carrying a gun through the woods worrying about if I' m going to scratch it!!I' ll aggree that a good pattern is a must,but I also believe that matching a good pattern with your own style and comfort afield are just as important!Versatility is important too in that I get my moneys worth out of my firearm,not only do hunt turkeys with it but predators and geese too!!!My own particular gun is an Ithica Mag 10 loaded with my own reloads block stock and barrel!!Would I reccomend it?Absolutely not because theres so many more user friendly guns available to todays turkey hunter!But with that said I' ve shot this gun for almost 20 years,and am totally comfortable and confident with it knowing exactly what its capabilities are in the turkey woods!Would I shoot any thing else?Nope!!!When sqeezing the trigger is the easiest part of the hunt and you know that when your looking down the barrel and the gun goes off that the hunt is over than I dont see the need for a change!Its a great feeling!!! Good luck in your quest!