HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone from New Mexico?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
vichris
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone from New Mexico?

ORIGINAL: skb2706

ORIGINAL: Jacob Garrett

heading to Colorado. I don't know if thats any better but atleast there hunting laws seem a bit easier to understand.
If you have never been here or hunted here you first response is odd in that "not any better" assumes there is a negative side to being here. Much unlike the east where typically there is a hunter behind every tree, hunting here in the west is open, where I go seldom see any other hunters and we have two kinds of deer, antelope and elk along with all the little stuff. do you have a huntable population of those in TN.
I'll throw in something else too. There are many more hunting opportunities here than meet the eye. We have elk mule deer and antelope as the big three. But don't forget about coues deer, oryx, (easy draw for resident.....I'm hearing the off range orxy hunts may go over the counter next year) ibex, Aoudad or barbary sheep, (over the counter for most of the state) javalina, Big horn, bear, turkey, cougar. In addition we have some awesome goose and duck hunting, and great dove & quail hunting too. NM has some real quality hunting and you can get drawn for at least one or two hunts for big game every year. Most years I hunt elk, deer, and oryx. You can always hunt bear, turkey, barbary sheep, cougar,dove and quail OTC not to mention yotes and bobcats too.