HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Magnum haters?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnum haters?

I have watched literally thousands of shooter's over the years at the bench. And I can say that I have noticed one trait in all the shooters at the bench. And it is a simple trait. They either know how to shoot or they DO NOT. This ability has nothing to do with what type of firearm, or cartridge they are shooting. The biggest problem I see with people who advocate a 243 over a 30-06 or a magnum is that they automatically assume a shooter will shoot a 243 better than the larger cartridge, and that is just WRONG. They will not shoot any firearm better until they are properly instructed as to how to shoot.

Now if a person is properly instructed on how to shoot then recoil can become an issue if they are sensitive to the recoil. Now if that is the case then there are a lot of ways to tame down the recoil of any firearm. Or you can choose to shoot a lighter cartridge.

But to say that a 243 is every bit as effective in "Killing Power" as a 300 magnum is just wrong. The old argument about "Dead is Dead" is wrong. If a person hunts and shoots a lot, then there will be times when the extra firepower may help. And if you "Know How To Shoot" then the magnum is no real issue, and can be helpful for the occasional bad shot.

And please do not tell me that nobody has taken or made a bad shot. Anybody who has spent times in the woods and shot deer has made mistakes, I do not care how careful you are, it happens even to the best shooters. And that is where the "Magnum" comes in. The "Magnum" can make up, and has made up for some "Shooters" mistakes. Tom.