HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question On 410 And Buckshot For Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM
MISwampDog
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question On 410 And Buckshot For Deer

Do not use a 410 for deer. Do not use buckshot for deer. The 410 is effective at very close range, with a slug, only. Buckshot is not effective at all. You would be shooting 9 pelletsthat will have a foot spread at 10 yards and increase from there. If you are going to shoot a deer, shoot it with a solid projectile.

also, we are talking about a youngster going out to shoot (most likely his first) deer. don't put him in a positoin where the chances of wounding the deer are high. It would be doing a disservice to him and the deer.

Get a 20 guage if you have to shoot a slug gun. use rifled slugs. If you can use a rifle, get him a small cal rifle. I am not sure how old ur son is, but if he is a little older, and can handle it, get him shooting a 30-30. The rifle has a low recoil and can kill a deer out to 100 yards. If ur son is younger, get him shooting a .243. It's a fast round that carries good velocity down range.

Just some food for thought. I dont mean to jump on you but I have seen many people make this mistake and end up having horrible results. To be honest, I don't know what experience ur son has with shooting a rifle, but if he doesn't have much you should build him up to it. Wait a season. Start witha .22, move up to a .243, then a .270, then start getting into the .30 cal guns. I started with a bb gun at 8 or 9 years old. By the time I was 14, and legal to hunt in michigan, I could handle a 30-30. Over the years I have shot more powerful weapons and have settled on a 30-06.

Hope this helps.