HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Toy: DXT Review
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM
KodiakArcher

Default New Toy: DXT Review

Well I finally got all the goodies in for the DXT, got arrows made for it and got it set up. I've wanted it for goat hunting and it's taken half of goat season to get it together!

I was leary of the 29.75" ATA with my 29.5" draw and for good reason. It draws smooth and anchors solid but it likes to float around a lot more than my other bows, the shortest of which has ever only been 36" ATA. It came in at 69# but the cam makes it feel like a bit more than my other 70# bows. If you creep at all with it, it's gone! I replaced the cable and string right away to 18 strand UltraCam which slowed her down a touch and gave it a quieter, softer shot and will be a more durable string for the brush beating it takes to hunt around here. I slowed it down further by making up some arrows that are Easton Axis N-Fused 300's with 100 grain Muzzy inserts and 125 grain G5 Striker heads that bring them in at 560 grains and 15% FOC. They may take a bit longer to get there but they're going to hit accurately and go right on through whatever gets in their way. The whole package is a bit of a compromise giving up long range precision to gain more portability packing into the high country. I won't be taking it on any caribou hunts that push the 60 yard effective range envelope (expandibles and long, heavy ATA bows for that) but it will do nicely on goats, deer and bear on top of the mountains, within 40 yards. It was louder than my Old Glory until I added the Sims stabilizer enhancer, filled the quiver, a heavier than factory string and a log of an arrow. Now it's just about the same as the Old Glory although, it's probably 20 fps slower given that the OG is only shooting a 475 grain arrow at 265fps.