HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did you achieve your goals?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM
racewayking
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you achieve your goals?

I'm still working on mine! My goal was to take 2 bucks in Illinois and wanted to exceed 140" on each and wanted nothing smaller than a 10 pointer.

Opening day I passed on a 9pt that would go in the 130's, he was missing a g-4 that cracked off and was a nice 3.5 year old buck. I wouldn't have another shot on a 130+ buck until I killed my deer November 4th, he taped out at 137 and some change, a few inches shorter than I was going for but was at least a 4.5 old or older deer that I passed last season several times. He was also running off the other big bucks so I thought but haven't seen anything over 110" since shooting him.

I still have a couple of doe tags and a buck tag and haven't had a shot on a mature doe since the rut ended. I usually take my does after the rut so I will finish off the year hunting into December which I have rarely done in the past. Had I hunted the stand I intended to yesterday I would have whacked a doe but I hit my Buck stand instead

This year also saw more pressure than ever on the property I hunt, so far three bucks have been taken off of it and one hunter never washes his gear so I think the area got jacked up. I also got busted twice in Brown County on two great deer that I would have shot, that experience reminded me that I need to branch out and hunt new areas to grow as a hunter. I also have a goal of shed hunting this winter and have lined up a few great mentors that I want to get out with shedding.

There is still a month and a half of Bow season and I am optimistic. More deer will find their way to the freezer soon! Either way my season has still been a success so far.