HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package
Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 PM
shur_shott30cal

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

First of all, if you buy a rifle it should be an investment that you can hand down to your kids and / orgrandkids not some cheap knock off that you would be embarrassed to buy. I want my grandsons to have my rifles and keep them as if they were still mine. Yes, rifles are rebarrelled every day in this US of A and not always by choice, this is why there are gunsmiths. Most of my guns are rifles and milsurp calibers that can be commonly found in even Mom & Pop hardware stores too. OK you say? Well, I'll put it this way, a lot of the guns that are part of this world's history are far better made than the stuff they make today IMHO.

Gunsmiths are not just born, they are bred into their field and they knowa rifle better than anyone in any commercial production line gun makers lot. Anyone can slap together a 710 but it is the true artisan that makes a rifle do what it was meant to do and make it sing a sweet note that any other commercially produced rifle cannot do. I've had people TELL me that I HAD to get rid of my OLD M-1917 for a NEWERandBETTER rifle. I then challenged them to a shoot, they wanted to offer me $300 US Dollars plus any two rifles in their collections after we got done. I laughed and packed my gear and left the range. As far as the 710, I'd not lay a plug nickle on one.

Budget rifles are OK for the once a year shooter / hunterwho has to leave the city to go a state that is mostly or all country / rural setting to kill one deer a year. But when you live in a state where I am surrounded by woods 24 / 7 you want a good dependable rifle that if the need arises can be rebarrelled in the same chambering and used in short notice and not pay the cost of a NEW Weatherby .416 Mag. which I see no viable use for in the ower 48, you can do it and not have to break your wallet. Where I live your rifle is part of your arm and you need to depend on it 24 / 7. I cannot depend on a 710 to do that, nor will try to depend on one either.