HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - who makes their own jerky?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who makes their own jerky?

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

I was thinking about trying this but I dont want to ruin a bunch of meat. How hard is it? How long does it take? etc?

the butched charged me $24 and I only got 2 pounds back so i thought if I could get one of those guns and use my ground up deer meat I would be able to make a bunch of it for a little bit of nothing.

anyone?

rick
Rick,
It's easy as anything, and will probably taste WAY better. I use a Jerky Cannon, and a dehydrator, and I mix 1/4c Worcestershire, 1/4cup soy sauce or Teriaki (you choose), 1/2 TBSP of seasoned salt, 2TBP brown sugar, 2 TBSP Liquid Smoke, 1/2tsp onion powder &garlic powder, 1/2 - 1tsp of pepper, and 1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper if you really like KICK!!! I use the "stick" nozzle because it helps the meat retain it's moisture just a touch better. I don't use any "cure" as the salt content alone CURES the jerky. Mix it up in a heavy duty freezer bag, and let it marinate in the fridge for a few days and use. I've NEVER had a batch not get completely eaten in about 18yrs of making it. And my 2 and 4yr old LOVE IT!!!!