HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stalk or sit?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 AM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Default Stalk or sit?

I'm curious as to how many guys, during gun season, sit in one spot the whole time theyre in the woods, or do you prefer to walk around ,and kick something up, or spot and stalk.

I've always been a "sitter" . I've always considered stalking a less productive way to hunt, feeling that the deer will usually see me 1st, and run out of sight, or at least not give me time for a clear shot. Although, I have felt that wind/snow can be good conditions to stalk.

This week, I'm hunting public land that is very big, and has been shot up for 2 weeks already, so I'm trying to cover as much ground as possible since I am not too familiar w/ this land yet. The area has lots of deer but I just cant seem to get on anything at all. I've walked for miles, for two days now ,and havent kicked up a single deer.

Should I keep at it, or just do what has always worked for me, and sit over a funnel and wait? Thing is, I only have a few hours each morning to hunt, and there is a long check in process on this land every morning ,and its hard to get set up by legal shooting light, which isnt till 7 am in NY anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks in adavnce.