HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reezen 6.5 vs Alphama32 Findings and Speeds
Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 AM
PA Hardwoods

Default Reezen 6.5 vs Alphama32 Findings and Speeds

Well Last night i was at the shop and had some time to play with these bows and see what they could really do. And found some interesting information.

First the numbers. I put 2 different arrows through each bow and came up with some very good numbers.

Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" Draw
350grn Arrow @ 60lbs = 295fps
520grn Arrow @ 70lbs = 269fps

Hoyt Alphamax32 @ 29" Draw
350grn Arrow @ 60lbs = 285fps
520grn Arrow @ 70lbs = 260fps

Ok so now this is where this gets interesting we decided to check the AMO Draw length on each bow. First up was the Hoyt Alphamax32...It measured dead on at 29", we also measured an Alphamax35 we had and it was also dead on at 29". BUT when we came to the Reezen 6.5 it measured in at 29.5" Not the 29 like its supposed to be, and the same for a second Reezen 6.5 we had in the shop. So once again mathews draws are coming in longer than they should be which would tighten the speed range to about only 5fps difference if the Reezen 6.5 was a "TRUE" 29" Draw, not the 10fps difference like my findings.

I am curious to see if the same is true for the McPhearson Monster Bows that are coming in, if they have longer draws than what they are advertised and marked. I will be sure to check that when we get in the McPhearson Monster XLR8 that we have ordered.

Now as for the draw cycle on the Reezen, I have to say it was quite rough at 70lbs and didn't allow for much if your draw creeped a bit. It really wanted to roll back over. There was also some noticeable handshock and vibration from the string, Not a ton but there is some there. But hey all that speed had to come from someplace right?

Now all I can say is WOW when I come to the Alphamax 32 and 35. They both are great shooters with a very smooth draw and dead steady in your hand on the shot, and quiet after the shot. And the lighter mass weight is a real dream come true. Finally Hoyt has listened to their customers and lightened their bows up.
I think the Alphamax is Hoyts best offering in years and will be a real challenger to Mathews and Bowtech.

I just thought I would share these findings with every one. Just an FYI I have no dog in the fight. I am a Bowtech shooter and not a fanboy of either of these manufacturers.