HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your batting average?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's your batting average?

As responsiblestewards of the forest, it is our duty to make sure we send the fewest arrows possible at God's creatures.
TOTAL BS. TOTAL.

So you spine a deer......and it's laying right there.....20 yds away. Chances are it'll expire in a few minutes. Chances are greater it'll expire in SECONDS if you put a follow-up arrow(s) in it. So what are you promoting, again?

FOUR of my 4/10 "BA" were follow-up shots on a deer I didn't even try to take, inititally (another hunter spined the deer). I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Would the deer have likely expired had I not shot the 4 arrows? YES! Did I limit its' suffering? YES!

We have ONE goal when we release an arrow (or arrowS). Kill the animal as quickly as possible. I don't care if you have a 10 arrow quiver....and the 8th shot will spare the animal 5 seconds of suffering. Fire your arrow downrange.

THAT is the message I'd like to send.

You can reference my "4-10" record repeatedly. I'm not ashamed of them, and especially not ashamed of the last 4.

I injured/killed a buck this year that I didn't recover. I also clean missed a doe, earlier in the year. Beyond that.....I've killed 4 does on 4 shots....and easily recovered each of them.

I'll send arrows downrange until:

1. The animal is out of range

or

2. The animal has stopped moving.

So where's the "virtue" in saying "I killed a deer with one shot and he died in 5 minutes" v. "I killed a deer with 4 shots and he died in 30 seconds"?