HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Texas Bowhunters.. beware...
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
txjourneyman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

ORIGINAL: Simp

It's not going to affect you unless you hunt on public land.
Not true. I hunt on private land and it will affect me seriously. I am a member of a hunt club with 20 members. During youth weekend the place is overrun with nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, grandkids, step daughters nieces next door neighbors kids, etc. etc.
Here in Texas we pay an additional $7 for our archery tags. This tax gives us October. I'm in no way against taking kids hunting. I take my 4 year old daughter. What I am against is guns in archery season. I don't care who pulls the trigger. There is ample opportunity to take kids hunting in Texas. General season runs from the first Saturday in November to the first Sunday in January. Thats 2 months to take a kid hunting. Not to mention special youth weekend in October and a week of late antlerless and spike season for youths in late January.
If someone wants more time to hunt with the kids in October why not teach them to bowhunt? Or heres an idea parents. Take your kids with you during the general season instead of going alone for fear of kids messing up your hunt!
Again I'm all for youth hunting, hell, I gave a kid a recurve this fall to help get her started, I've invited a member of these forums and his son to join me on a hunt next month in the hopes of the young man getting his first deer. I'm all for youth hunts. I just don't think kids with guns and archery season should mix.