HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My boys first deer!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
2FNSLO
Spike

Default My boys first deer!

I must say I'm still excited. It happened on Saturday of the Ohio youth gun hunt. My son is 9 years old and has been shooting with me for almost two years now. He is a very good shot and absolutely loves it. We started out the morning in my dads blind behind his house about 45 minutes before the sun came up. It was cold, real cold, but he did a pretty good job of toughing it out. He seen three does before the sun came up. About an hour after sun up, we seen a small buck walking down a ditch line about 200 yards from us. He turned and went the opposite way from where we were sitting. To make what could be a long story a little shorter, my dad drove a few woods to us. We seen one other small buck but it was too far and moving too fast. By this time my dad was getting pretty worn out from doing all the walking, so I had him drop me off and had him go with my son to set up where we thought something would come out. I was about halfway through the woods when I heard shots fired. I was pretty excited at this point and couldn't get to the other side of the woods fast enough. I was within about 40 yards of the edge of the corn field where they were set up when my son yells "dad, I hit one!" I couldn't get to him fast enough. We ran to each other and he jumped into my arms. We went to where my dad was still standing and he showed me where my sons doe had piled up. About 350 yards from where he shot it. It was a 35 to 40 shot. Dad said the deer wasn't at a full run, just trotting across the cornfield. I'm not sure what actually killed her, but he was an inch or two below the heart and it shreaded the breast bone. She bled like you stuck a tap in her. Anyway, in order not to violate any man laws, here is the picture I snapped with my cell phone before I field dressed her.

We are guessing she weighs close to 150lbs live weight. My son only weighs 73lbs.