HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - beginner question...
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: beginner question...

Make sure you buy a good climber. Something like a Summit of your choosing. Probably with a bar around to give you more mental security. Use it during the off season to get familar with it. Remember, for hunting you'll most likely be setting it up in the dark---learn how. USE A FULL BODY SAFETY HARNESS. This goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway. You can die from a 10' fall. Follow all the manufacturer's recommendations.

As for only going 10'? It's not going to be as effective as 15-20' but you have to sart somewhere. Most likely, as you become more experienced you'll be able to go higher. It becomes a matter of confidence in you and your gear.

Here is something I do. I generally go about 15-18' with the foot platform. I use a 20" rope to haul my bow up, this tied to the front bar of my Viper. When I feel the weight of the bow I've climbed as high as needed.

Using a climber is not hard. It just takes practice. And climb slowly and set the two pieces into the tree snuggly. Do it right and people as close as 35 yards won't even be able to hear you. Which brings up another point----noisy treestands. There really aren't many that are noisy. Just noisy people operating them. Be slow, methodical, and safe.