HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Soooo disappointing!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
trailinone
Typical Buck

Default Soooo disappointing!!!!!!

I decided to bow hunt on Sat morning even though gun season opened. I got a decent buck in KY 2 weeks ago with the rifle, so I really want to get a mature buck with the bow, now in MS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hell bent on never killing another deer with the rifle, it's just not the same joy as a bow kill. Some will argue, that's not the point of this post.
I decided to hunt on public land, my family's land just does not have enough bucks filtering thru it, and I do want horns. I am hunting a river bottom that is somewhat wetland, here and there, so I have not been able to access them until this year due to my sissyfied fear of moccasins(yea I don't mind admitting it). Well it is cold enough now, so I went in after daylight to get deeper into the woods closer to the river. After about an hour of sitting, I have a doe come just outside of range, probably 60 yrds, and appears to be alone. I watch her leave to the southwest of me. About an hour later, 8:28, my phone rings.My wife is taking some medication, long story, so I take it thinking something is wrong. She is just bitching about something to do with the veternarians office and our dog, nothing I can help with at the moment. While talking to her, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye, to the North moving my way. I tell her I have to go now and hang up. Well, I see good horns, probably a good 8 or maybe a 10(when I say good, I mean good for me, 120-130). Well he slips by me at probably around 50 yrds, I never got to range him due to the lovely call thanks to my wife. He picks up the scent of the doe I watched earlier and takes up the trail she was on. I kid you not, he didn't get out of my sight for 3 minutes and I hear a rifle go off. One of the many orange men took my buck. It made me so mad I thought I would die there in the tree. If I hadn't been on the phone, I might have seen him earlier and been better prepared to take that shot. I had it out with the wife, everythings cool now. Hopefully she wil never call me when she knows I am hunting again unless it is an emergency. I feel so stupid for not going deeper into these woods before now, but I can not see walking among the snakes.
Anyway, hope yalls season is going better than mine. I just needed to vent a little, certainly can't talk to the wife about this kind of stuff.
Oh yea, I passed on a mature doe a meer 6 yards away about an hour later. I've got meat in the freezer, no need to get to greedy. It would have been a long drag out, and maybe she'll drag a buck thru there tomorrow a.m.