HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My 08' Shotgun 12pt (pics)
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Primetime/IL

Default My 08' Shotgun 12pt (pics)

I took off work all day Friday for our Illinois shotgun opener. I went to one of my spots in Jasper county and the activity seemed relatively slow all morning..not many shots fired in the area. I did have two does come in from the southwest, acting skittish they meandered their way out towards the point by the pond. Figuring that the action had been slow, I decided to give my other Jasper spot a try later that afternoon. This was a new location I acquired earlier this year. I had talked to some guys out there once that had told me they where also hunting it. As I got down towards the creek & thick sapplings my stand was near, I caught glimpse of orange. DARN! I knew right then it was one of the other hunters out walking the property. I decided the heck with it and head back up to the truck and figured I would go back to the spot I was in earlier that morning (15min away) Get to the other location, once setup it was now 3:00pm. 4:00 rolls around and I had a hunter about 30yds to the south on top of the grassway, he must have spotted me and turned and head the other way. They too where "walking" the property. I thought what the heck.. my luck must be running aweful thin today Finally, at 4:15 I caught movement of a doe out towards the point the does had move to earlier that morning. 4:30...I caught movement coming down the ridge from where the does where ...I could tell it was a buck...WAIT..no...NICE buck...Shooter! I seen his right side and could tell then that he was at least a 10. As he was 60yds he stopped perfectly broadside and I let the Win Super-X eat through. I watched as he stumbled down with his front legs!! I had hit him far low in the upper legs, the bullet going through both legs, breaking them. I got down out of my stand, figuring I knew he would not expire I began walking towards him. By this time he was already to the north end of the woods near the field edge. As I got up to him at 30yds I cocked another one in the chamber and finished him off! Hes a main frame 10pt with split G2's He Broke his split G2 off on his left side. He is only 15" wide but what he lacks in width he makes up for in tines. Havent had the chance to put the tape on him yet, but I think he will go 140's What yah think??