HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pin Spacing..
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pin Spacing..

ORIGINAL: Whitehorn

Thanks Dopler..

I shoot to 60 and the guys at the range gave me the tip that equally spacing your pins will work. But as i understand it the gap increase slightly as the range increases. for example the gap between 20 and 30 is slightly smaller than the gap between 50 and 60.. Just wondering if there is a way to calculate the difference in the gaps, it might be small but I am curious how small..

Cheers.
Yep, there is, it's called going out and SHOOTING!!! Past 50yds, you're gonna be losing over and INCH per yd, even if you're shooting 300fps!!!! In all honesty, I'm not sure how many guy REALLY shoot to 60 yds. Because I've heard a lot of guys CLAIM this, but then they don't really know enough to be shooting that far.

There's no "FORMULA" that will set your pins any better than putting time behind the bow. I shoot to 56yds with my current set-up, and there are about 10" of drop between my 48yd pin and my 56yd pin. At shorter ranges, 24-32yds, I can get away with using my 32yd pin on a 24yd shot and still get a kill, after that, it pin splitting. But to shoot 50-60yds, you have to be VERY precise, I know that at about 52-53yd, I can split my last pins, for a hit on a deer sized game, but if I were target shooting, I'd better know precisely how much hold over under I needed. I'd have a full 16" of drop between 50-60 shooting my rig at 284fps. That means my pin gap should be about 4x what my first pin gap is, but when you factor in the distance it shrinks down a little. The only SERIOUS way to do this is to shoot your bow and adjust to the POI.

Oh by the way, you're right......"The guys at the range are WRONG!!!" if they're saying equal spacing for equal distances.