HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Small bores for big game
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Judson

Default Small bores for big game

I ran into a fellow from Kentucky that insisted that a .17 or a .22 was all he, or any compitent shot ever needs for deer or bear. Now I believe it is not trying to use the little tiny needle blowers that makes hunting a challange, it is hunting it self. Use an approprate tool for the task. Using small stuff like that guy recomends is at best an ego trip for one wanting admiring glances. He ain' t going to get them here!!!! Using cartridges such as those .17 and .22 for deer and such is like trying to pound in a nail with a spoon. Not that it can' t be done but not the right tool. In addition to that, stuff can happen when hunting and small light calibers are asking for wounded and lost game. This is not a consilation prize and no self respecting hunter would consider using such cartridges for big game. These cartridges have their place but it is not in big game hunting. If these light weights are all one needs I would like to see their promoters use them on somthing that will stomp or eat them if things don' t work out just right!!!! Cape Buff, Lions, oh yes Leopard, and Brown bears also kome to mind.

Your Friend
Jud