HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Missouri firearm opener
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM
dasMO

Default Missouri firearm opener

So, I have been lurking around here for a while and thought it was about time I made a post. For the MO firearms opener, I was fortunate enough to get an invitation to hunt my friend's family's farm in Pike County. I brought my CVA Optima Pro, intending to use it, as I had never shot anything but paper with it, but I also brought a .270 as backup. I was informed that the average shot here was aroung 200 yards which kind of concerned me with the muzzleloader, but we set up a 200 yard target, and turns out I could reach out there pretty well.
Opening morning was cold and windy. We didn't see a thing. We went out aroun 2pm for the evening hunt, and I was shaping up to be much the same with snow added. At around 3pm, I saw one deer but it was about 400 yards away. I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. I sat for a while longer and saw something to my left. One doe, then two, then a buck nosing them. They stopped about 50 yards from my stand. They had the whole field to move down, but they stopped right there. I put the buck in the crosshairs, squeezed the tigger, and he dropped in his tracks. The does stood there for minute, then ran to the next field where my friend was sitting. I heard what couldn't be anything but his .300 wsm. I heard three shots. He took both the does, one of them being massive. I was shooting 150 grains 777 and 250 grain Hornady Lock n Load Speed Sabot.
He may not be enormous, but I could not be anymore pleased. He is easily my biggest deer yet, and first with a muzzleloader.

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...=view¤t=8.jpg
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...derdeer004.jpg

Sorry, I can't figure out how to actually post the pictures in the body of the post. Also, sorry that his tongue is hanging out in one of the pictures.