HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Great Debate Over Baiting
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 AM
SavageOne
Spike

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Many good points Dog. I have had this same discussion on several forums. First let me say I live in MO and baiting is illegal here so I don't do it. If it were legal I would use it as a way to gain advantage, the same way I use cover and lure scents.I think the main reason those who use scents, decoys, rattle horns, etc. but view "baiting" as wrong is they view themselves as "better hunters". They look down thier noses at those who bait and view it as unethical(regardless of if it's legal or not), therefore no practice they use should be considered baiting. They view baiting as the lazy man's way to hunt.
Lance CC , that 80 acres your hunting over, did you place your stand in some unused corner or did you place it close to a deer highway into or out of the field? Deer are creatures of habit and will use the same routes more times than not. Hunters know this and use it to thier advantage. I would also ask all those who hunt these large fields, did you plant these fields or are you hunting over someone else's crop? Many who say baiting is lazy have not put in any effort to the food source the hunt over. Not directed toward you Lance. I don't know you and Iam not trying to judge you or any practice you use. As far as food plots go in my own experiance most aren't large. They are on average 1 to 2 acres.
Also those who plant food plots, why do you want to act like you're out sunup to sundown nurturing your food plot? A few hours a month pulling a drag or disk behind an ATV doesn't make you a farmer. Also if food plots fall under agricultural practices why don't you harvest that BioLogic you planted? I have said it before and I will say it here now, food plots come out of a seed bag the same as that corn.
I have one final question that I have never been able to get an answer to. If baiting is wrong and unethical why is feeding them the rest of the year ok?
I have not presented my case as eloquently as MISwampDog and for that I apologize.