HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM
PA Hardwoods

Default RE: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

This boils down to one thing here in PA and thats the almighty $Dollar$. The crossbow companies have been pushing like crazy to sell crossbows in PA for a few years now and the Game commission has finally folded to the pressure. My problem with crossbows is the same as others have stated. The fact that guys think they dont have to practice with it and that guys view them as the next best thing to a gun. They think that now they are shooting with 150-200lbs of pull that they now can shoot out to 60, 70, 80, 90 or even 100yds. Ask the archery proshops in Ohio what happened when crossbows were allowed. Many shops closed up their doors because guys didn't need the service to their bows and they could buy their crossbows through catalogs. One of the biggest opponents in PA to crossbows is Rob Kaufhold the owner of lancaster Archery. Give him a call and ask him to tell you the reasons why crossbows should not be allowed. He has a fantastic view on it. He doesn't have a problem with the weapon itself, its the fact that guys think its like a gun and if these guys buy these crossbows through catalogs they are not getting the information dispelling the "Like-a-gun" myth. If they buy the crossbow in shops the pro-shop can inform the buyer on the real limitations of the weapon and how it should be used and not used. All I can say to all the PA guys and even the non PA guys is contact the Game Commission and lets put the pressure on them to not allow them, Maybe we could come up with a sort of form letter that all of us could keep sending to the Game Commission. What does everyone think?