HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gray Fox Questions?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 AM
TreednNC
Typical Buck

Default Gray Fox Questions?

Ok so this is probably just a general predator hunting question, but here goes.

The property I deer hunt is crawling with gray foxes. Have saw 5 this year while deer hunting, either crawling with, or like to show themselves often. My questions are...

Assuming they will come to a cottontail in distress call....mouth blown or electric?

I don't currently own any 'predator' calibers. I have.22lrandthen skip up to a .270. Could I use a turkey load in a 12ga and try to get them within 40yds?Or would a 22lr be enough for a fox?

Hopefully will be getting a .243 soon to double as a predator/varmit gun and light deer gun. Only one I have ever killed was with a 270, lol over kill to say the least, as you know.

Land owner really want's me to get rid of these things as he loves his small upland game. There is only 60ac there. half farm, half cutover. He said he would pay me $10 for every one I kill, but I'm not going to take any money from him, he let's me deer hunt for free, and doesn't ask for anything in return, even though I offer all the time.

Ive only 'predator' hunted once with success. Ive been maybe 5 times, and had 2 coyotes to come in (diff location) first time I hunted there, but was under gunned.

I figure hunt the wind like you would with a deer.....any other tips would be helpful. Thank you.