HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BH209 hangfire problems
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 AM
bowbender6

Default RE: BH209 hangfire problems

More info on last night-

I ran a .035" drill through the breech after I started getting hangfires, still had hangfires. I had some hangfires in another converted gun with Fed209A primers. I tried some Win primers and got no hangfires in that gun. I thought the Fed 209A was one of the hottest primers but the Win 209 worked better in one of my guns. Maybe there is a difference in the amount of energy and the hotness or ability to ignite BH209. I will try some Win tonight.

I have a walkout basement with a range right there and leave the gun outside when shooting. I was shooting a .45 Kodiak Nickel barrel. I tried the 200 shockwave with the supplied green sabot (which is tight) and with the Blue Crush Rib .45-.40 sabot (which is very loose). The bullet was seated several times with over 50lbss of pressure, it didn’t seem to matter, both had hangfires. Maybe when it is cold there is some condensation in the barrel after the shot?

One shot even went fizzle and the bullet only went 10 feet. These were loads that were shooting 1” groups with no problem a month ago.