HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
8pt~Bowhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)

Saturday morning I went hunting with my dad and lost the trigger to my release and couldn't shoot anything the whole morning! Luckily I didn't see anything to shoot...

Today I was hunting in my tree stand when a doe came walking right to me broadside, 20 yards away. I waited for it to walk about 5 more yards into my shooting lane. Then, just when it was a few feet from my shooting lane it turns around and starts walking away! (I think it smelled me.) I made the best shot I could under the circumstances but I hit a twig which deflected the arrow, missing the deer by a few inches. About ten minutes later I called my dad on the radio and told him that I shot at a doe and that I thought it was a clean miss. My dad said that I should wait in my stand a little longer before I go check my arrow for blood. About 15 minutes later I started climbing down my stand when my dad called me on the radio and said that a deer was coming my way! (I was about 5 feet off the ground when my dad called.) Since I was half way down the tree I quickly got out of my treestand, ran a few yards up the trail and crouched besides a tree. From what My dad said the deer should be coming down the trail that I was watching. About 5 minutes after I sat down a deer comes running down a trail quartering towards me. I pulled back my bow as soon as I saw this deer about 50 yards up the trail. I aimed my bow at an opening about 25 yards away from me up the trail and waited for the deer to come. the deer closed the distance quickly and I made my shot as soon as the deer walked into my little shooting lane. I hit my release and watched my arrow disappear into the deer's body. As soon as I shot, the deer disappeared over a hill, running towards our truck. (I thought great! Now I won't have to drag it far!) After I shot, I waited about 5 minutes and ran over the hill to see if I could see where my deer ran. As soon as I ran over the hill I saw my deer 50 yards from the road thrashing in the leaves. I called my dad and told him I shot a doe and it was down. Dad answered back and said, "A spike is coming between you and the road." I ran to a nearby tree and waited about 10 minutes before I went back and checked out my deer. When I reached my deer I saw that it wasn't a "doe" as I thought before, but a spike! I called my dad and said that the "doe" I shot was actually a buck!