HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)
Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Kreagerm
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Don't think I gave my kill story, of my little 7 pointer.

At about 9am i look to my left, and about 80 yards away in the bottom i see him walking with his nose to the ground. So I hit the grunt call and he makes a hard right and starts heading straight up the hill towards me. At about 50 yards in front of me, he makes another right and is now coming back to me. I figured he would be about 30 yards broadside if he stays on his path. He has his nose to the ground and tail straight up walking fast. So I set my sight for 30 yards, I draw back when he walks behind a tree, I do a mouth grunt to make his stop and sure enough he did. I let the arrow fly and the next think I see is him jump to the side, and he starts limping away. I can see I hit him in the shoulder because his leg is definitely broke. I also heard my arrow go flying after the shot, not sure at the time if it went through him or did he snap it off when we hopped off.

The deer walks about 15 yards and stops and looks around. I knock another arrow, then he walks off about 20 more yards over the hill and I can hear some russling in the leaves. After an hour I start looking for blood, not a single drop. Found my arrow, with about 4 inches missing. Keep looking for blood, nothing. Looked where he stoped, no blood, looked where I last saw him, nothing. So I start walking the trail below the ridge and I look up and there I see him, dead as a door nail. He went about 50 yards from where I shot him. While dressing him out I found the cause of death. His whole chest cavity was full of blood, I must have cut through his aorta and he bled to death in about a minute. No lung or heart damage, just arteries.

As for no blood. The hole was sealed up with shoulder muscle and even where he died and laying on the bad shoulder there was only a small drop of blood.

I got lucky I hit the arteries I did. Here is a pic of the shot.