HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - (Blah!!) Stopping deer
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
c_str
Fork Horn

Default RE: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

Well I don't know the answer to this question, but I'm glad you brought it up. It almost seems like you are just going to have situations where things just do not work out no matter what you do. I tried stopping a buck once and he jumped 5 feet straight up and took 2 or 3 big bounds before stopping and checking things out. (out of range of course). I recently shot at a doe who had stopped on her own, but then took a step just as I shot, and I ended up hitting back more than I wanted. (story to be posted later) I've also had a buck jump the string, but this was a different situation where he was alert of me.

As for me, I'm will probably try stopping again, but it kind of depends on the situtation - how alert he is, how many shot lanes are going to be open etc. Mostly I think on the demeanor of the deer. But if I do stop a deer, I will be aiming low (heart shot) in anticipation of the deer jumping the string. I would much rather take a shot at a deer that has no idea I am there - if only so that the deer does not run as far, etc. I think if the deer realizes that a predator is there, it may want to go farther when hit than just bedding down somewhere close, but this is just my brain rattling around thinking out loud...